"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells the less you know" -Diane Arbus

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Film-tastic




Today we live in a digital age. It's all about our nice digital cameras, the cameras on our phones, on our i-pods, i-pads and the the convenience of downloading them to our computers and displaying them on Twitter and Facebook. I too enjoy this technologically savvy digital era, however I am a firm believer and advocate for film photography. Whether it's a film SLR, a simple disposable film camera or even an old school Polaroid I feel that these photography outlets are under appreciated. I personally went through a phase where I only used my Polaroid camera or my disposable, and I always had at least two disposable cameras on me. Just the simple idea of snapping a shot and not being able to go back and edit, or retake it makes the corners of my mouth turn upwards. Using film allows to to truly capture a certain moment, whether it's ugly or pretty, happy or sad. Not having that seconds chance allows you to truly see what's in front of you, not what you want or what you think is in front of you. You'll be surprised to find out what beautiful pictures will develop. The natural lighting and graininess of a picture from a disposable camera gives you this grasp of reality you wouldn't have gotten otherwise. There are even disposables out there with fish-eye lenses! With film SLR's there is an entire world of darkroom processes that are being ignored. Although you are able to adjust the setting unlike a disposable camera, you still only have that one chance to capture your vision. And through multiple exposures, the enlarger and developing chemicals, the experiments and possibilities are endless. It's this entire other media of photography that is truly beautiful, and I feel it allows you to express yourself and obtain your vision in ways the digital photography never will, even with Photoshop. Film and digital both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I encourage everyone to ensue a change of pace, and pick up a cheap little disposable camera, or experiment with film SLR's. It'll be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment